Pages

Tuesday 29 May 2012

"Yesterday was the worst day of my life"

Year Seven Geography, computer written, however the original digital document is no longer in existence and has had to be transcribed.

Written between Tuesday 18th November and Monday 24th November 2008. Probably 18th.

The fact this fictional character does not describe the news presenter or provide a name shows us that they did not actually watch Fox News (why Fox News, why?) but rather pretend to inside this fictional account which is fictional to the fictional author as well.

The absence of a wi-fi enabled iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad or Android device appears to place this in the past. Presumably 2008.

I would guess at the fictional author actually being American, as he uses the Americanism of 'neighbours', and he seems to firmly be a Florida resident. My modern brain likes to think of this being the character of Phil Lester now, however that was definitely not the case back in 2008.

The idea of the fourth generation family quilt either comes from My Parents Are Aliens or The Simpsons.

The simile of the dog at the race track most likely originates from 'Simpsons Roasting On and Open Fire', where we see the Springfield Downs and Santa's Little Helper introduced.

The reference to the Presidents in heaven is almost certainly a reference to The Simpsons. If written now, persons such as Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford would be substitutes, as they are the Seventies of U.S. Presidents (discounting Jimmy Carter, who is still a cool guy).

23rd July 2008

Yesterday was the worst day of my life. As soon as the weatherman said there was a hurricane coming, I knew we were in trouble. The good news was that it would take six hours to reach Florida, so we had time to prepare. My dad drove very fast the D.I.Y shop, so he could buy wood before they ran out. We kept the TV tuned onto Fox news, so we could hear the latest updates. We saw footage of Disneyworld, with the hurricane soaring through and visitors looking petrified. I couldn't believe this was going to happen to us and our neighbors.

A few hours later, I got a headache, and my head felt like it was about to explode. I needed to go to my room, so I couldn't hear the TV. But that would be crazy, because I wouldn't get the updates and then the hurricane would hit the house without me knowing. Soon, the weatherman said that it was going to hit my street within an hour. I was terrified. I was even more terrified when the wood dad put onto the windows fell off. I followed the TV presenter's advice of staying in a small space, such as a closet. The walls of our house soon started to collapse. It even ruined our family quilt, which had gone on for four generations.

We were really, really scared, and I knew I might not survive this. My heart was racing, at the top speed of a dog at the race track. After hours of being cramped together in the clothes closet, it stopped. I couldn't believe I survived the hurricane. I couldn't believe I didn't die and be chatting to Abraham Lincoln or George Washington in heaven. After surviving a hurricane, I knew that this was the best day of my life.

© 2008 Peter Webb

No comments:

Post a Comment